Saturday 3 March 2007

A funny thing happened to me ...

At a recent funeral I attended of a friend's father I was wearing my uniform. During the "thoughts on the word" bit I had my legs crossed and looked down at my foot and thought to myself (whilst listening to the preacher) "I never put those shoes on this morning." So then I uncrossed my legs and recrossed them the other way and looked at my foot again and thought (whilst still listening to the preacher) "I did put those shoes on this morning!" The startling realisation came to me that I had put two different shoes on - both black court shoes but one with quite a chunky heel which I wear when I'm going to be jumping around and one with a bit less chunky heel - more ladylike. Well there are two ways you can deal with this. You can pretend you hadn't noticed - as no one else seemed to or you can draw attention to yourself and your stupidity! Guess which one I chose? Yes the later - well you know me, always up for a laugh. But that's not the end of my stupidity. Yesterday morning, I'm getting dressed - I think with my eyes closed - I put my trousers on and didn't recognise the fit to be any of my usual navy blue trousers - I have a couple of pairs which are tight and a couple of pairs which are loose - this pair was inbetween so I just thought I'd put on weight and my loose ones were no longer loose. Anyway, thought nothing more of it until I'm sitting in a little meeting with Steve and Diane at Bulford Red Shield (Bless them!) and realise that I had a pair of black trousers on! Now maybe not that big a deal for you but the thought of wearing black trousers for me with a whole load of navy blueness was not making me happy. I am concerned that I am regressing in my behaviour and am beginning to develop an inability to dress myself appropriately - or maybe I'm just becomming my mother who often just puts on anything in the cupboard she likes the look of regardless of whether or not it goes! Which is very endearing really. Sometimes she does it because she knows no better and other times she does it out of sheer cheekiness - you can usually tell the difference because she comes downstairs with a cheeky grin on her face anticipating my reaction! I can tell I'm going to have to watch myself. This morning I'm going to take great care and and attention to what I put on.

As I often say in this blog I'm so very grateful to God for the people he has placed in my life and today I would like to pay tribute to two special ladies firstly because one has just celebrated her birthday and the other we have just found out is going to be moving to London in July.

Linda has just celebrated her birthday. On Thursday night some of us gathered at the good old Bold Forrester for a meal to celebrate the occasion. Linda has been like my second mum whilst living in Southampton. She's looked after me - bringing me supplies when I have been ill (thanks for the paracetomal and toilet roll!), had me around for lovely meals, gone shopping with me and forced me - no I'm only joking - encouraged me to realise and follow my calling to officership. I will never forget for as long as live the actual day I decided that I would do it. Linda had just come back from being an assessor at an assessment conference and in my mind this conference was one of the things that was really making me nervous about going through the whole process. So throughout the day i was asking her loads of questions about it. Then at night we had a little jaunt to Matalan in Waterlooville and then to the big Asda Hypermarket in Leigh Park and as we were walking around the shops I was still asking her questions. On these little jaunts we usually have our tea in Asda (steak pie normally because it's lovely but I don't think they had any that night) anyway, right there in that cafe in Asda, in the biggest council estate in Europe (apparently I think) I decided that I would do it - I would start the process towards officership. Right there and then Linda prayed with me and it was just a really special and unforgettable time. Thank you Linda for persevering with me! Linda is one of those people who generally says what she thinks which is sometimes helpful but at other times not so helpful! I like it because you know where you stand with her because of the honesty and it makes me laugh (you've got to really!) when she says her none helpful comments like "you'll never be beautiful!" She also makes me laugh by the way she pronounces some words - you know like the policeman off of 'Allo 'Allo who doesn't pronounce his words quite correctly? Like when she says baguette - just as it's spelt not as it's pronounced. Linda is a very generous, caring and strong person with a beautiful faith and someone who I love and thank God for regularly. I know that God has placed her in my life for such a time as this and I look forward to her coming to visit and help me out with my home leagues when I'm in my appointments.

Chris is moving (boo hoo!). She and Ian are moving to London to work on THQ. When we were told on Thursday I had mixed emotions because I will miss them both very much but I'm happy that Neil and Chris Webb are moving down here to take their place. I then realised that I would have the best of both worlds because I will be around for a couple of months with the Webbs and then will go off to the training college in London and so will be near Chris again so we can still meet for coffee! Perfect! Chris is a beautiful lady. She's another one who has been like a mum to me. I love going into Linda and Chris' office (I call them the diddy men because they're both so tiny!) and having a chat and concocting another little scheme or outing. Anyway, Chris is crazy and she hums alot but that's very endearing and if you want to chat anything through with her she comes up with a good and helpful way of seeing things. Chris is beautiful example of a godly lady and always has something encouraging to say. She always cares for you and remembers stuff that's going on in your life and follows up on that. I love the fact that she's often just like a little girl - with her excitement and enthusiasm - which is probably why I get on with her! I know also that God has placed her in my life for such a time as this and I look forward to meeting her for coffee and stuff when I'm in London.



So in case I don't get a chance to say it again - thanks Linda and Chris for your friendship, for your fun, for putting up with my hairbrained ideas and humouring me! Thanks for telling me how it is and how it should be and thanks for encouraging me to be the person God has made me to be. Be blessed beautiful ladies!

Well, I suppose I'd better get up and face Westquay and get my puter fixed. They better beware at that Apple Store - I am not happy and not in the mood! May I be a bright star shining yeah? ....

laters
cx

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello lovely friend!

Odd shoes - I can't believe it!

I'm sad that Chris is moving. She's played a very important role in the life of our family over the last three years and she's also been very helpful to me on a personal level. I have learned to really listen when she speaks - she's one lady who's really in-tune with God.

Black and navy blue - never a good look. I'll keep praying for you my friend!!

Lots of love to you from our house xxx

Laura Whispering said...

This is such a lovely post - made me smile :)

And it got me thinking about the people who God's placed in my life, so thanks for the blog inspiration haha