Monday 7 May 2007

Yoohoo! I'm Home!

Finally .... After nearly a month of being away from home I am finally back. I actually got home from Africa last Thursday evening only to leave at dawn the next morning to travel to Roots in Southport where I have been working in the Kids Tent.

However, before I tell you about Roots and what a brill experience it was, I must tell you that I nearly did not make it home from Zambia! The Monday before we left, Rich, Suz and my parents visited Chaanga and I stayed at home because I didn't fancy the 3 hour off-road drive. Anyway, I took beautiful Ronaldo out into the garden for a little wander and toilet break.

Beautiful Ronaldo:




Suddenly I noticed something in the grass and realised it was this snake rearing up at me. I got a shock but quickly grabbed hold of Ronaldo and got her inside and shouted for Heidie. I showed her the snake and she really panicked so phoned Richard. However, Richard was off road somewhere so couldn't do anything about it so he suggested she get some of the men over in the vehicle yard to come over. I told her to tell him that it looked like a cobra because it had that flat bit on it's head but I think he thought I was exaggerating (I can't think why he would think that!) So some men came over. I thought they would be all macho and laugh when they saw the snake but they were really scared! They confirmed that it was a Cobra and then set about stoning it to death. They really threw those stones with great force. It made me think about people being stoned in bible times and how truly awful that would have been. At one point they hit the snake with stone with such force the snake flew into the air! At first I didn't want to watch but then I got a bit hooked so watched the whole thing. Once it was dead, they threw it over the fence! When Richard came back mum, dad and Suz wouldn't get out of the car until they knew all was safe! I was very very brave! I'm only disappointed I didn't take a picture but i was just completely focussed on saving my life!!!! So I've tried to find a picture on t'internet but i got the complete creeps looking at all the pictures of cobras!

The next day we travelled to Livingstone so Suz could see the Victoria Falls - oh my word it was so wet there! Even wetter than last year! What was also really cool was that that evening we saw a lunar rainbow or a moonbow at the falls. It only comes when there is a full moon and can only be seen in four places in the world - the vic falls being one of those locations. It wasn't really colourful - more a cloudy white but was amazing to see and actually to see the falls at night was so beautiful as well.

We also went on The African Princess for a sunset cruise. We cruised down the river zambesi, taking the beautiful scenary and enjoyed nice food and drinks. It was very colonial and I decided that mum and suz looked like characters from an Agatha Christie film:


So after Livingstone we travelled to Lusaka where we met up with Heidie and had a nice meal in the evening. We stayed in Lusaka that night in a backpackers hostel called Chachachas which was very interesting. We stayed there because we had to get up early to go to the airport the next morning.

I had a great time in Africa. I experienced many many new things and so am due many fanfares of the day. it was so good to see Rich and Heidie. We had many laughs and lovely times together. I love them very very much and am overwhelmingly proud of them and all they have achieved. I miss them very much. I'm not sure when we'll see each other again. I'd like to see them at christmas and see my new neice or nephew but I'll have to see if I can afford that. Other than that, I'll see them next May when they come home - either on holiday or for good depending on what they decide.

Well I was going to blog about roots but I'm just so tired that I think I'll leave that for another day and go to my beautiful bed instead!

laters
cx

No comments: