Tuesday 16 January 2007

Fanfare of the Day

If I could, I'd have a fanfare playing as you open this post. You see, Chris Evans on his radio show on Radio 2 has a little slot called the Fanfare of the Day where children phone up and tell the nation something they've done for the first time that day. I used this at the children's camp I organise in the summer. The kids would come and tell me just before supper something they had done for the first time that day and then when we met up after supper, I'd pick 5 of them to come up on the stage, they would tell everyone what they had done, I'd present them with a special medal and then everyone would give them a standing ovation whilst they passed the big blow up trophy to each other with the big Olympic fanfare playing in the background - it was a very cool thing. Anyway, Yesterday I did something for the first time ever and so deserve a fanfare: I fed some chickens!



Meet Gertrude (the ginger one) and Doris (the dark one). They belong to Tania and Garry. Garry bought them for Tania for a wedding anniversary present. I didn't really think many positive thoughts about chickens but after meeting Gertrude and Doris I feel a little bit different about them now. I fed them some leftover bread and even allowed them to peck the bread from my hand - it felt a bit weird but I felt very proud of myself for doing it! I might get chickens when I have a garden - you get eggs from them as well! Richard had been asked to feed them whilst Garry and Tania were away. We had a chinese on Sunday night and so Richard fed them some of the leftover rice. It was special fried rice which had eggs and bits of chicken in it!!!! That's not right! You can't feed a chicken chicken! It's not entirely right feeding them eggs neither! Poor Doris and Gertrude! I hope they're not mentally and emotionally scarred!

So later on yesterday I went to the shops in Chelmsford. I love shopping in Chelmsford. The shops are cracking and it's such a lovely place. I really miss Chelmsford. As a child of Salvation Army officers you move around a lot and consequently never feel like anywhere is your home. However, Chelmsford was probably the closest I ever got to feeling this and it was a massive wrench to leave it for many many reasons and it will always hold a very special place in my heart. Anyway, one of the many things I miss about it is Deichman Shoes. It's a shoe shop in the High Chelmer shopping centre which sells very reasonably priced shoes. Here it is:


I love it and I've not seen another Deichman shoe shop anywhere so is this the only one? Can anyone tell me where there's another one?

Yesterday was Suz birthday so a group of us went to the old faithful - The Bold Forester for tea last night. Ian had Whitebait for his starter. He had this when we went there for my birthday as well. The first time I tried it I quite liked it until I saw that they still had their eyes in!! How can you eat something with their eyes still in?!?! It tastes like fishfingers really but it's guts and eyes are stll in and it just doesn't feel right eating it. Of course, Ian uses these feelings I have about Whitebait as a source of entertainment for himself and a wind up for myself! I got him back today though by telling him he looked like Beaker from The Muppets - HA! That'll learn him! Anyway, we had a nice evening and I bought Suz a ticket to see The Sound of Music - of course I bought myself one at the same time because it wouldn't be right her going by herself so I'm very excited!

And finally ... there is a nasty bug going around my office. Already 6 people have gone down with it. I am very nervous that I will be next. Now seeing as I have a phobia - or at least a very great fear - of vomit, having this bug would be a disaster! Therefore, today I took the necessary precautions:



You can never be too careful!

well, I think that's about it for the now.

I've still got a good vibe about this year.

laters
cx

No comments: