Thursday 8 February 2007

The Hills are Alive ...



Oh my word! I've been to see The Sound of Music in the westend! Oh my word! It was amazing! I can't even begin to tell you how much I enjoyed it. I bought the tickets for Suz for her birthday and I reckon it's one of the best birthday presents I've ever bought!

We stayed at Kev's flat which is just by the Globe Theatre. It over looks the River Thames and the scene of St Paul's Cathedral right across the way is absolutely stunning! Bless Kev, He ordered us a car to take us to and from The Palladium which was a real treat. Anyway, we finally got to our seats in the theatre. We were up in Gods so it took a little while to climb the steps - talk about climb every mountain! We were on the back row and at times I thought I had vertigo. However, despite this we still had quite a good view of the stage. Unfortunately, Connie (who won the part of Maria on How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria) didn't perform that night - it was announced that she was unexpectedly indisposed. Once we got over the initial disappointment of that we realised that we didn't really know how good or bad Connie was so it didn't matter and that the understudy would have to be just as good - and she was.

The singing and the live orchestra was absolutely stunning. The show is slightly different to the film but not in a bad way and there were a couple of extra songs which I didn't recognise but it was still fab. The baroness is not as nasty as she is in the film and Rolph doesn't tell the guards when he sees the family hiding in the convent which made me happy. What was also very interesting and lovely was that the times when Maria was seeking advice from the Mother Superior seemed so much more spiritual and poinant - it wasn't naff or overdone - it was just beautiful. Lesley Garrett who played the Mother Superior was amazing and just so suited her role. I will be listening to Climb Ev'ry Mountain with different ears now.

So Suz and I cried our way through the evening. It was amazing! Everyone go and see it NOW!

The next morning I got up early, sat in Kev's front room and this is what I saw:



How amazing! It was also so quiet. I can't quite believe that it was so peaceful in the middle of London. You know I was reminded how everyday, God gives me so much to be thankful for. God has blessed me with a very loving family and amazing friends. Isn't it so important to make the most of everyday and enjoy the people and the things that God has given us because you just never know what tomorrow brings.

This has really been highlighted to me again over the past few days. On Saturday a family who I know from Chelmsford Salvation Army were involved in a tragic road traffic accident.

Len, husband to Jean and Stepfather to Sarah was killed outright in the accident. Jean and Sarah were badly hurt and are currently still in Hospital.

Also in the car was Amelia, Sarah's three year old daughter. She was rushed to Great Ormond Street with serious head injuries.

We have heard today that her condition has deteriorated and that she has been put on a life-support machine. Earlier this Afternoon Jean and Sarah were transferred to Great Ormond Street hospital so they could be near Amelia and the officer from Chelmsford went there along with other family members so that he could dedicate Amelia to God. After this the life-support machine was going to be switched off with inevitable consequences.

My heart goes out to this family right now. It's just such a tragic situation and I would ask you to pray for them as they try and come to terms with all that's happened and that God will just guide and strengthen those people who are supporting them at this time.

God has given each of us this wonderful gift of life but it's also very fragile. He wants us to live our lives to the full - that's wnat he said. Isn't it so important that in living our lives to the full we ensure that we make the most of each day, ensure that we're right with our relationships and with the situations we're facing. Make sure we tell those people who we love that we love them. Make sure we thank the people who have added to our lives and anyone who we've hurt or has hurt us we put in order because we just don't know what tomorrow's going to bring.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love you mate x

Anonymous said...

Hi Clare
Stumbled across your blog - good to see your'e still enjoying life down in Southampton - we still miss you up here.
Stef and i are taking mum to see the sound of music in May (earliest tickets we could get!!) Glad you and Suz enjoyed it.
Take care
Stacey x