Monday 19 February 2007

Miss Congeniality

Last night I watched this film with Fi. What a laugh! I spent the whole film either laughing or thinking - "that's me!" Now I know I'm no Sandra Bullock before anyone reading this says "who's she kidding!" but some of her personality traits and lifestyle stuff was scarily like me! I'm not sure I'm ready to be too specific but for instance I know that I don't have the most gentil laugh; that at times I eat like I've never seen food before and that it's a constant wonder to me that I have not broken my ankles on any of the high heels I've occasionally worn (it's been pretty close sometimes and I have managed to scratch poor Margaret Moore's car when I went over on my ankle wearing stupid high heels)! I don't have a talent for playing the glasses (of the drinking kind) Like Gracie LeBush but I have been known to play the spoons to Salvation Army band marches in my past - which is equally unique. I tell you - I was the highlight of the singing company programme with this talent!

I am very aware that I am 31 now and need to start acting like it. Part of this awareness has brought about the decision to try and be a little bit more lady like so that people might think I'm older. I quite enjoy it but the Miss Congeniality in me keeps peeping through - no matter how hard I try - I just give my true self away in some generally small but sometimes mahoosive way. But is that a bad thing? Why should I try to be something I'm not? Ian (who I work with) and I often talk about the need to be authentic and if we want people to respect us and respond to us then one of the most attractive traits we can have is authenticity.

I was having a right old moan today because I was fed up of feeling like some people were patronising me and treating me like I'd just left school rather than someone who has had some experience of the world around me. So then I get to thinking - how can I act in order to try and change how I feel people see me and treat me? I guess this is something that I'm really conscious of as I think about going into training and becoming an officer - I really need people to take me seriously. After chatting with the wise old bird otherwise known as my mum (Lady Rosa Jean) she made me realise that if that was how people did see me then that perhaps it was their problem and something they need to get over - if indeed they actually do feel that way and it's not just me! But also that God has made me me for specific reason - whatever that is, perhaps I'll never know but I guess I'll just keep on being the clumsy but well-meaning me - aka Miss Congeniality!

laters
cx

P.s. Happy 30th birthday to Heidie my lovely sister-in-law!

No comments: